Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Late For The Sky


Termination of the Biologic Imperative

The world has had its way with me,
a long descent under a parachute of experience,
billow of stories, and harness of expectation,
now collapsed, packed away, small as a tampon,
restored intrauterine,  the end to all that.

The world has had its way with me
and I have stuck to my bargain, producing offspring
inoculating against despair, launching into air,
but now I am depleted, infected with age
ready to reconceive myself as a crone.

Soon my world will be riddles and weeds,
devoted to potions from rocks and animal cries
singing long songs of historical lament
tatting doilies of complicated verse.

The world is heedless of our slow passing,
we are embodied only to embody another
cognition mere hobby beside the genetic,
happiness a mutation of stubborn irrelevance.

9/2002 and 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment